Pulaski Tech is very pro-active in the prevention of the spread of infectious disease. Ultimately, the success of these efforts depends on the efforts of students, faculty, staff and visitors to the college.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention continues to release new information regarding the threat posed by the H1N1 or “swine flu” virus. This virus is expected to pose a threat in the coming months, and the CDC has made strong recommendations to mitigate the effects of this potentially dangerous flu strain. Health officials and college administration will monitor the situation closely as the traditional “flu season” approaches.
See their full report, including recommended responses to influenza for the 2009 – 2010 academic year here.
Another Web site with excellent information is www.flu.gov.
The following steps are good, common-sense flu prevention tips:
- Self-isolate- stay at home if you become ill!
- Campus visits by ill persons are strongly discouraged.
- Exercise good hand hygiene: wash hands frequently and use sanitizers such as “Purell” often.
- Exercise good respiratory etiquette: cough or sneeze into a tissue, then wash your hands. If no tissue is available, cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
- Practice routine cleaning with anti-bacterial towels and cleaners: Studies have shown that influenza virus can survive on environmental surfaces and can infect a person for up to 2-8 hours after being put on the surface.
- Increase social distances.
- Extend the self-isolation period if necessary! Do not return to school or work until you have been fever-free without fever-reducing medication for 24 hours.
- One of the best ways to protect against the flu is to get vaccinated against the flu. People under age 25 are one of the key groups recommended by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to be among the first to receive the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine.
- Arkansas will have mass flu clinics where large numbers of people can receive seasonal flu vaccinations. Locations and dates are listed here.
Pulaski Technical College
3000 West Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118
Phone: (501) 812-2200
Copyright 2016 Pulaski Technical College. All Rights Reserved.