For up to date system requirements required to access and function in Blackboard, please click the following link:
Known Internet Service Provider Issues
AOL: Connect to the Internet with AOL; then, minimize the AOL browser and open Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer or and log in to the PTC portal.
PeoplePC: Students who use this service need to contact PeoplePC and ask how to add Blackboard as a trusted site.
Cyberback: Students who use this service need to contact Cyberback.
Common Problems Using Blackboard and Solutions
• If you get “Error 1005” when logging into Blackboard, turn off the CAPS LOCK key. The username and is lowercase and the password will be a combination of upper and lower case letters.
• The default cache settings for Internet Explorer do not work well with Blackboard. Using the default settings will cause issues with course design, quizzing, and any page where the page reloads or refreshes.
• Many employers and companies set up firewalls as security measures against hackers. Firewalls provide security by closing certain Internet ports, which disables student access to interactive computer applications like Blackboard. If you are unable to connect to Blackboard at work, your company’s network administrator may need to open these ports. Employers may request the port numbers required to modify their network and provide their employees with greater Internet access.
Here are the ports that need to be opened:
Disabling Pop-Up Blocking for Blackboard
While using Blackboard, if you are unable to view discussion postings, quiz windows, and download links, then you need to disable pop-up blocking for your Blackboard server.
Depending on the pop-up blocking software you are using, you may be able to set your Blackboard server as an allowed site, or you may need to disable the pop-up blocker while using Blackboard.
Pop-up blockers work in the background while you browse the internet. When they detect a pop-up window that may be an unwanted advertisement, they automatically close the window. This can prevent Blackboard from performing properly.
To disable pop-up blockers for Blackboard:
1) Search your hard drive for any software with "pop-up" in the name. Disable it or set your Blackboard server as an allowed site. Examples of popular pop-up blocking applications include:
• Pop-Up Stopper
2) Pop-up blocking functions are included in some anti-virus, internet security, personal firewall, and browser programs. Disable the relevant setting in the program or set your Blackboard server as an allowed site.
Pulaski Technical College